Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: A cure for cancer?  (Read 11075 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Re: A cure for cancer?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 12:01 »
I think most vegetables are a lot tastier raw and not to mention better for you. Over cooked vegetables are awful, especially cauliflower and sprouts,.....well beans to. Actually cauliflower and broccoli cut up into floweretts and dipped into a nice dip or mayonnaise is wonderful, also beans, celery, carrots are all much nicer raw.
I live on pumpkin and sweet potato soup, and I make a mean spinach quiche.
I also juice fruit and vegetables, which is another great way to get your daily dose or a boost. With Michaels dental work of late, I have been making him smoothies, banana, mango, you can make lots of different ones depending on your tastes. Add eggs, wheat germ and vanilla, yummo.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 17:11 »
Yes I like steamed or raw actually I'm hopeless at eating different vegetables - I know I don't eat enough of a variation, I tend to stick to ones I really like....peas (definately no mush in sight! :ack:)  carrots and sweetcorn, "tomatoes" mushrooms and leeks oh and potatoes.   Just lazyness I guess. 

I don't really know why because I can tolerate most veggies, and I don't eat much meat, chicken and or fish once or twice a week.

I love potatoes but I've never had sweet potatoes....... I will get some of those, forgot today when I went shopping lol.  I think I'll try that califlower in mayo too I love mayo :)

I used to buy loads of different veggies and juice them up add some tomato juice and worcester sauce, it was nice actually - I must do that again.

I got some blackberrys today, god knows what I'm going to do with them.. lol

That pumpkin and sweet potato soup sounds nice, do you make your own misty?
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 01:47 »
I do make my own soup Michelle, it started out as a pumpkin soup, but over the years I've changed it. A kilo of pumpkin and about half kilo, or more of sweet potato, a couple of large onions lots of garlic, or not if your not keen. A large potato, sometimes I don't because it won't fit into my slow cooker after cutting up everything else, doesn't seem to make much difference. I add lots of pepper for a bit of heat, could add chilli if you're game, and cover with just enough chicken stock, salt reduced of course. The original recipe had celery in it, I'm not keen on cooked celery so I leave it out now.
When it's cooked I blend it and serve it with low fat plain yoghurt and lots of parsley and garlic chives from my garden.

Years ago I used to steam vegies for dinner and occasionally add some of the water to them and blend them to make soup.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 08:18 »
That sounds a very healthy meal MB.  I will definitely try making that myself - but perhaps with a little less garlic.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 08:41 »
Yes that does sound really nice, I will try it, thanks Misty.

I used to make alot of veggie soups too - carrot and coriander was my fav then.

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 09:19 »
That sounds a real tasty meal Misty  :thumb:

I heard that tomatos aren't good for arthritis sufferers, are any of you aware of this?  :dunno:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 11:33 »
That's a new one on me, Serenity.  My other half has arthritis and we have recently increased the amount of tomatoes in our diet to combat 'free radicals' - he doesn't seem to be adversely affected.

Something that helped him enormously was a herb called 'Devil's Claw'.  We came across it on a TV programme a couple of years ago when Prof Kathy Wise endorsed it.  Apparently, it's one of the 10 'super herbs' that have been shown by scientists to be therapeutically beneficial in the same way that garlic is good for blood circulation and St John's Wort is for Alzheimer's disease.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 11:33 »
Hadn't heard about tomatoes being bad for arthritis suffers, unless it has something to do with the acid content and arthritis suffers taking aspirin? My mother has osteo arthritis and can't eat tomatoes because of their acid content, gives her very bad heart burn. I have heard if you take out the seeds of tomatoes, it reduces the acid.

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 16:08 »
Well I have consulted a few of Orthopaedics I work with and they agree, tomatoes arent good for arthitis alongside a few other fruits and vegtables...   here is an article I've found... makes an interesting read  :icon_book:

http://www.newstarget.com/008400.html

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2007, 10:00 »
Quite interesting, I've printed it off and I'll send to my mother, thanks.  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 15:15 »
I will be trying out your pumpkin soup this week MB.  We have a visitor from Oz staying with us from Wednesday and she is a vegetarian.   :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2007, 16:22 »
  We have a visitor from Oz staying with us from Wednesday and she is a vegetarian.   :)

I have heard that if you dont invite them in then they arent allowed to cross the threshold of your house Clive.
Garlic around the door and window frames may also help to keep them away.
Keep a good supply of holy water handy and a few crucifixes, you can never be too careful  o:)
I have heard that you can actually kill them by driving a steak through their hearts but that seems a waste of a good steak and I assume it would have to be a frozen one to be hard enough to do its job  ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2007, 17:43 »
Is that vegetarians or Australians you are talking about Sandra?  :o: :woot:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2007, 18:30 »
 :pmsl: @ Sandra and Michelle. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2007, 21:04 »
I have heard that if you dont invite them in then they arent allowed to cross the threshold of your house Clive.
Garlic around the door and window frames may also help to keep them away.
Keep a good supply of holy water handy and a few crucifixes, you can never be too careful  o:)
I have heard that you can actually kill them by driving a steak through their hearts but that seems a waste of a good steak and I assume it would have to be a frozen one to be hard enough to do its job  ;D
]

it better be aussies....  :crazy:
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum