Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Currys to eject audio cassettes  (Read 751 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Currys to eject audio cassettes
« on: May 08, 2007, 13:06 »
The digital world has finally caught up with the humble audio cassette as electrical retailer Currys announced it will stop stocking them.

FULL STORY

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Currys to eject audio cassettes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 16:49 »
I haven't used a blank cassette for years, but still have plenty of pre-recorded tapes I use in the car.  It's a shame to see these old formats disappearing, but I suppose the same was said for 8 track cartridges when they disappeared in the early 80s.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 19:55 »
I can't remember the last time I had a car with a tape deck Simon.  I threw out all my tapes long ago.  Most were copies anyway.  At least they were easier to store around the car than CD's which look unsightly when stashed in the door compartments.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 20:04 »
  It's a shame to see these old formats disappearing, but I suppose the same was said for 8 track cartridges when they disappeared in the early 80s.

I bet that Clives still not got over the demise of those Eddison wax cylinders that he had as a child  ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 20:10 »
I remember the wind- up gramphones with the horn very well!   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 21:27 »
I actually had a wind-up gramaphone, Clive, but it never gave me the horn.  Very stupidly, I sold it for the princely amount of £12, when I was totally skint, many years ago.  It would probably have been worth a lot more now, and probably was then too.  :blush:

Most of the cassettes I still use are kids songs for the school run.  The tape player in the car is one of those which is also a CD player, but the CDs have to go in a box in the boot.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 05:00 »
I haven't seen a good alternative to the tapedeck adapter yet. I mean jackports tend to corrode up and they don't really sell double male phone plugs in the department stores. I would much rather use a tapedeck adapter to plug in my mp3 player than use a cd.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum