Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pipex Broadband  (Read 8504 times)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Pipex Broadband
« on: May 11, 2007, 10:05 »
I recall a few people that are thinking of switching from Pipex Broadband. I think Simon was one.

This makes interesting reading.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/118757.html?aff=newsletter

Maybe you should think again!

;D
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Re: Pipex Broadband
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:42 »
However, the IPI report does not take customer service issues such as technical support into account.

I think that's the area they fall down on more than anything Delgado which happens to mostly all the ISP's that grow too quickly as they don't tend to increase their staff in proportion.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 13:57 »
At the moment, I have to admit, the service is 99% faultless, and this makes it seem reckless to move for the sake of it, ensuing all the drama that comes with switching broadband providers.  However, I am concerned about who will eventually take over Pipex, and what impact any changes may have on customers, particularly as Pipex themselves probably wouldn't bother to tell us.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 01:04 »
I've switched to Zen.  Eclipse was OK but their email service was crap.

dunno how long I will last with Zen as it's 20gig max download. 

I have used 20% already and only been with them for a week.

There customer service is excellent and the speed is great but I dunno if I can survive on 20gig download.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 08:35 »
Anything must be better than Bulldog. The actual connection is good, but the Customer Service is appalling. I should think that their staff come from the local looney bin!

Im switching to Pipex again soon, as I have Pipex Homecall for my phone, which gives me free calls to anywhere in UK for £24-50 a month which includes landline rent. I can add Pipex Broadband to this pasckage for £6 per month.

;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 11:46 »
I've switched to Zen.  Eclipse was OK but their email service was crap.

dunno how long I will last with Zen as it's 20gig max download. 

I have used 20% already and only been with them for a week.

There customer service is excellent and the speed is great but I dunno if I can survive on 20gig download.

Is that from downloading movies, Lona?  What's the general speed like, and is it better or worse at peak times?  As for as I know, it's not just downloads that count towards the 20Gb limit, but web surfing and emails too.  How much of the quota you have used, do you think is from specific downloads?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 15:23 »
I have heard only good things about Zen.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 23:36 »
Is that from downloading movies, Lona?  What's the general speed like, and is it better or worse at peak times?  As for as I know, it's not just downloads that count towards the 20Gb limit, but web surfing and emails too.  How much of the quota you have used, do you think is from specific downloads?

I haven't been downloading many movies, Simon. I think only one since I joined ZEN but then you never can tell what my son is downloading, although I have warned him I will be keeping my beady eye on my allocation.  Zen have a customers portal that you can check your download for the move.  At present I am sitting at 58% but May has nearly gone.

I have a much better speed so far 6mb but it can be a bit slower at week-ends.  Max I ever got with Eclipse was 4.5mb.

It's early days yet but so far so good and at least their email server doesn't keep crashing.

One good thing about Eclipse was no restrictions after 10pm at night till 8am in the mornings but speed was never consistant.  I would still not knock Eclipse.  I simply changed because I was fed up with the mail server always breaking down.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 12:03 »
Anything must be better than Bulldog. The actual connection is good, but the Customer Service is appalling. I should think that their staff come from the local looney bin!

Im switching to Pipex again soon, as I have Pipex Homecall for my phone, which gives me free calls to anywhere in UK for £24-50 a month which includes landline rent. I can add Pipex Broadband to this pasckage for £6 per month.

;D

Further to my post above-what a nightmare this has been!!

I received my modem and installation kit with a letter dated 18th May telling me I would be advised of my connection date. In the same post was a letter telling me my connection date was 25th May. I thought this was looking promising; how wrong can you be!

Upon installing the software and modem, my PC flashed up a message that the hardware was faulty. I disconnected the modem and attempted to uninstall the software. The software appeared to be corrupt and wouldnt uninstall. After several attempts, i had to give up and use system restore to get rid of the bloody corrupt software.

I then put the connection details and password into my router on the 25th May, and couldnt connect. To cut a long story short, I have been phoning every day until yesterday trying to connect. The people are blaming Tiscal now, saying that Tiscali are the carriers of Pipex broadband, and they dont know why I cant connect.

Yesterday, after being offline for days, I put back my old details from Bulldog, and found I was still connected to Bulldog!!

Needless to say I have contacted Bulldog, who tell me the Mac Code hasent been used yet, and Im still a customer of theirs!!!

Ive decided to stay with Bulldog, and sent an e-mail to Pipex, telling them what they can do with their broadband-better the devil you know.

I am now waiting to see what happens next-are all Internet Service Providers scouring the Lunatic Assylums for staff??

:crazy: :crazy:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 12:11 »
its a common story now.. the reason I dont want to move from telewest (sorry virgin)..  they always have good staff - maybe not on the phone I recently had fun with an indian (trying to explain I was using a custom built linux router was not fun!)... but when the chap came round he fixed it in 5 minutes... not bad.

I hope everything works out well... I had an awful time writing letters to orange for my uncle in a similar situation, I think in the end I confused their accounts department with b******t terminology and when I threatened legal action all of a sudden his connection worked....hmmm
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 12:37 »
I thought there was new legislation in place to make it easier to switch broadband providers, but it obviously doesn't legislate against having muppets running the ISPs.  DG, can I infer from what you said, that Pipex now belong to Tiscali?  God help us all!  I am due to start considering whether to switch from Pipex in the next couple of months, but at the moment, although the company is detestable, and customer service is appalling, changing providers seems akin to trying to poke butter up a pigs arse, with a porcupine needle, so I'm thinking it might be less hassle to stay where I am.

This really shouldn't be the case though - it should be easy to use whichever broadband service one wants to, and quite clearly, the legislation of Feb 2007 doesn't go far enough to support the consumers right to free choice of service.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 12:57 »
Hi Simon,

I dont know whether Pipex is owned by Tiscali.

A woman in Customer Service (I use the term lightly) said that Tiscali were the carriers of Pipex Broadband.

Im beginning to think that although pricey the best option might be BT, after all they own the lines.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 14:04 »
My move to Eclipse from Pipex was painless and also my move from Eclipse to Zen was very fast and no problems either.   

I'm working my way through them all.  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 14:27 »
My move to Eclipse from Pipex was painless and also my move from Eclipse to Zen was very fast and no problems either.   

Well, they wouldn't dare mess you about, Lona!  ;)  ;D

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 14:30 »

I'm working my way through them all.  ;)

I guess your just one of the lucky ones-try moving back to Pipex, and see what happens!!!

:laugh:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum