Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ad aware playing up  (Read 1486 times)

Offline KRO

ad aware playing up
« on: February 10, 2008, 18:31 »
hi, i have had ad-aware SE personal installed for a long time now (it's free) but it now will not update for some reason, it attempt's to, but only manages 5% and then an error pops up, does anyone know of any other good cleaners i could use (preferably free)
my pc seems really quite slow at the moment......
cheers kro.....

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Re: ad aware playing up
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 20:07 »
http://www.pc-pals.com/smf/index.php?topic=24309.0

There is something about it here...... not sure how to refer you to a topic so I'll try that, if not search on ad aware
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 20:44 »
Can't add to that, Michelle.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Winner BBC Quiz of the Year 2015,2016 and 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 21:23 »
Aad-aware SE personal is no longer being updated and that's the reason it stops at 5%.
Winner BBC Quiz of the Year 2015, 2016 and yet again in 2017.

Offline chorleydave

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 22:17 »
Whatever you do, don't download AdAware 2007 - it's probably the worse piece of crap ever invented.  It only downloads updates when it's in the mood and then won't run half the time.

I uninstalled it recently and replaced it with SuperAntiSpyware Free (Simon's recommendation).  I also use Spybot Search and Destroy and they are good enough for me.

Incidentally, I wonder if software creators read this forum.  The other week, in a similar thread, I was slagging off AVG Free for taking ages to update.  A Couple of days later there was an optional update available.  I installed it and AVG is now updating in seconds rather than minutes.

Makes you wonder.....

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Winner BBC Quiz of the Year 2015,2016 and 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 23:02 »
Whatever you do, don't download AdAware 2007 - it's probably the worse piece of crap ever invented. 

Couldn't agree more Dave.  I ended up uninstalling mine and going back to Adaware SE personal, only to discover Lavasoft were no longer supporting it so I had to uninstall that too!  Software manufacturers seem to take one step forward then ten steps back!
Winner BBC Quiz of the Year 2015, 2016 and yet again in 2017.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 23:29 »
Incidentally, I wonder if software creators read this forum.  The other week, in a similar thread, I was slagging off AVG Free for taking ages to update.  A Couple of days later there was an optional update available.  I installed it and AVG is now updating in seconds rather than minutes.

Makes you wonder.....

The power of PC Pals!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline KRO

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 21:30 »
thanks for your replies and help peeps, i have downloaded super antispyware, should i also download spybot search and destroy along side it or leave as is ??

cheers kro.....

Offline chorleydave

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 21:43 »
Personally, I wouldn't bother.  I already had Spybot S&D installed before I uninstalled AdAware and installed SuperAntiSpyware, so I left it alone, otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered as I don't think it is going to catch anything that SuperAntiSpyware isn't.  Let's face it, if we wanted to we could fill up a hard drive with security programs, but we wouldn't be any more protected than we would be by having one decent one/

Offline KRO

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 23:21 »
yes that makes sense, thanks chorleydave...
cheers kro.....

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 02:00 »
I have ad aware 2007 installed and it updates no problem.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum