Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: BT predicts the death of text  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
BT predicts the death of text
« on: May 26, 2008, 20:18 »
Text messaging could become a dead technology within the next few years, according to research from BT.

Many consumers want a converged communication tool that can send emails, instant messages, make phone calls and access the web from anywhere, BT's research, conducted in conjunction with Ipsos MORI, found.

"Consumers are telling us that instead of carrying around lots of different devices, what many really want is one communications tool," said Alnoor Samji, director of Ipsos MORI.

According to Samji, this could spell the end of text messages as a mobile device that allowed people to use instant messaging would render them obsolete.

BT's 21st Century Life Index Report, which was released today, examines the digital world as it stands today compared with the visions of the public 10 years ago.

It found that the proportion of the population now spending more than five hours per week online has doubled in the last 10 years from just 24 per cent in 1998 to 57 per cent in 2008.

www.bt.com

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re: BT predicts the death of text
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 21:09 »
I take it every one will have a "Blackberry" type mobile in the future  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 21:48 »
My mobile already has email, instant messaging and can access the web, albeit at not a great speed.  Presumably, any improvements would also come with increased costs. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 00:46 »
Maybe people could use a phone for something really radical, like maybe actually speak to someone on it  :dunno:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:34 »
That reminds me of the first 300 baud modems, Sandra, when we were so excited to be able to type messages to each other - until someone pointed out it would be quicker and easier to use the phone and talk. Nothing changes. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:38 »
i really dont see email replacing text. The reason texts are so popular is they are quick and easy, email never will be easy on a phone... and by phone I mean one that doesnt have a full keyboard, word, internet explorer and all the s**te you don't need.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 13:19 »
I'm not much of a texter and only send 80-120 per month normally but i can see where texts are handy.

Personally i'd like to see it progress into something like a voice text that you can listen to or look at and you can compose by voice too  :dunno:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 13:35 »
Isnt that called voice mail or an answerphone Cammie  ;D

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 13:51 »
Isnt that called voice mail or an answerphone Cammie  ;D

That would be a phone call then  :o:   ':|   :dunno:

I mean something like that cept you could get the message when you were ready to, even if your phone was on.  I think  ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 15:47 »
but you can do that, with multimedia sms... its just too expensive.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 16:51 »
What is this text you speak of?   :D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 17:29 »
Dunno, Clive, I'm a stranger to it too.  I've never owned a mobile phone - never had the need for one.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 21:58 »
I hate texts.  Only good for short messages like saying I've arrived at my destination.  I prefer to hear my friends as it's better to have a blether. These people who text each other every five minutes to say "Have a nice Day" or " Missing you Babes" I think are off their heads.   :ack:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum