Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: motherboard 4 pin 12 volt problems advice much needed.  (Read 7609 times)

Offline martin_uk1

motherboard 4 pin 12 volt problems advice much needed.
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:23 »
Hello i have a phenom 9650 on a asrock K10N78 Fullhd-hsli board 7 gig of ddr2 memory and 500 gig hdd with 8800 gts oc gfx card with a 750 watt psu when the 12 volt 4 pin connector is on the board it wont turn on or boot when the connector is taken off the board processor fan and board fires up any advice welcome please i think its the PSU but im not sure.martin

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: motherboard 4 pin 12 volt problems advice much needed.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:32 »
Hi Martin and welcome to the forum.  :welcome:

I'm not the best person to help you, but I agree with your logic. Hopefully, Sandra, our resident guru will be along shortly.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 13:21 »
Hi Martin, and  :welcome:

As Rik says, Sandra would be the best person to help you with this, and she should be up along soon.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 14:38 »
I would think its a faulty PSU, or at least the feed to the 4 pin connector isnt working properly. Have you got a meter so that you can check if there is any power to the 4 pin connector when the pc has fired up ?
If there isnt any power to it or less than the required 12v then maybe the board detects it and wont let the pc boot up.
I havent come across this before so its only a guess but I think its worth checking it.

Offline martin_uk1

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 14:47 »
Hi and thanks no i dont have a multi meter at all which i know is silly ill try buying a new psu see if that works im really annoyed at this as i have all my phohography work on that and now its playing up.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 16:07 »
Have a look under the mobo too, Martin, just to make sure nothing is touching the case when that plug is connected.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline martin_uk1

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 16:14 »
from what i seee when i had the mobo out there is nothing wrong with it nothing chard on it no funny smells nothing one min it was working i swapped the hdd and then nothing it just wouldent work i have contacted tmsuppliesltd who have a shop on ebay i bought it from them in april says has a 12 month warrenty with it but they have not got back to me i just hope something can be done and i can get all my thousands of pictures back feel very sad......... :cry: :bawl:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 16:16 »
Could you swap the drive to a USB cradle or another machine directly, and transfer the file that way?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline martin_uk1

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 16:19 »
AHHHAAAA i could try im just worried that ill be left with no pc to do my photography work on now and i cant afford to get a who new setup either not having much goodluck atm which is even more upsetting. ???

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 16:21 »
Well, salvage the images first, then tackle the machine. When did the problem start, when did you first report it to the vendor?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline martin_uk1

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 16:27 »
Started last night when i changed over the hdd's then it decided it would not boot and now i have the prob i have now where the 12 volt connector is in wont work and when out it has power but not enough to boot i reported it yesterday i understand that its bank hol so ill have to wait its just very very annoying and upsetting as it was a very hi spec pc and my gf is not happy with me as says i have wasted alot of cash..

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 16:31 »
Have you checked that you haven't dislodged, even slightly, any cables? SATA cables, for example, are notorious for being 'delicate'.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline martin_uk1

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 16:35 »
Yes have checked everything had the mobo out and connected all bits to it and still no joy i think the mobo might have a problem on it with the connector as the power does not get to where its ment to be might have to get new mobo might not even be the psu just feels alot of time has been wasted. :bawl:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 16:38 »
In what way did you change over the HDDs?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline martin_uk1

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 16:40 »
turn off the pc changed the hdd over and turned it on and it said no os the mobo was out the case the next min it would not work i think its dead.. :cry:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum