Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Did your central heating break down in the big freeze? Here's why...  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
So says the Daily Mail.   Mine was fine.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Mine too but I know many who suffered problems with that pipe freezing up. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
The manufacturers must have been taken in by this global warming tripe, and not expected them to have to work in temperatures this low. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Actually, for once it's a well-written piece. I've been told by independents and E.ON that I should hang on to my old boiler as long as it's working. It's reliable, has an 80% efficiency and had already outlasted about 5 condensing boilers. The cost of manufacture and service for the new boilers offsets the carbon saving, and the cost of installation and servicing offsets the fuel savings.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
They should be lagged but it seems most people don't bother to do so.  The lagging can be purchased in any hardware store such as Homebase or B&Q, costs very little and is very easy to fit providing the pipe is accessible.  It's a very good investment even if you have boiler breakdown insurance because they won't fix it for you if it freezes up!  

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
A larger pipe also helps, Clive, or best of all, put it into an internal drain.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Our condensate pipe froze and the condensation ended up dripping from the boiler.  We never knew that pipe needed to be lagged - it's something we shall attend to.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
You can also get special collecting tanks, which pump out when full, Gill. The problem with the condensate is that it drips out, and that can freeze far more easily than a steady flow.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Baz

• Established Member
did you read some of the posts on that site, a good tip in one of them was if the pipe freezes up to just undo it  from the bottom of the boiler and place a bowl or similar underneath to catch the water, big thaw comes and put the pipe back on.I think it was a plumber who posted that.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
And it works...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Den

• Forum Fanatic
My Son in Law rang up over the holiday asking for advice, a friend who's wife was 9 months pregnant called the heating firm who installed his boiler to come out as it had cut out. They said they were only going out to bursts and not to heating that had failed. I advised him to cut the pipe and let it drip into a bucket (check the bucket on a regular time scale). He phoned me back the next day saying that the wife in question had given birth to a baby girl and that they were very warm and happy thanks to the advice I had given.   :D
Fourth in the 2018 Quiz of the Year but at least I beat Clive.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Great news, Den!  Did you charge them a consultation fee?   :devil:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Well done Den.  It only goes to show how worthless the boiler insurance is! 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum