Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Why You Should Switch to the Mozilla Firebird browser  (Read 7685 times)

Adept

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/why/

Mozilla, the open source browser, has another new version.

Mozilla Firebird v0.6 is designed to eliminate a lot of the clutter and produce a more streamlined browser.

I'm a confirmed Opera-user, but anyone who uses Internet Explorer really should give Mozilla a try. You can download it from here :)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Why You Should Switch to the Mozilla Firebird browser
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 23:15 »
Hi Adept.

Have you (or anyone else) tried Mozilla?  I too am an Opera freak, but might give it a try if I here some positive comments about it.

Adept

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 23:17 »
I'm just about to install it ;)

I'll let you know ...

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 23:27 »
Ok but maybe ive missed something but why are you all ont using internet explorer.  :-[

Why should i make the change  ;)

Boss

Adept

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 23:36 »
First impressions are favourable chorleydave :)

The Mozillia UI is far cleaner than Opera and pages seem to load much more quickly.

The default font size appears a little small to me. I'm sure there will be a way of tweaking it, but I haven't found it yet.

You will need to install the flash plug-in to see Pals in all its glory. Unfortunately it isn't an automatic process - the Flash installer recognised Opera but not Mozilla, so I had to install it manually :(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 23:46 »

Why should i make the change  ;)

I think some people just dont like using Mr.Gates stuff BB  ;)
Also they like showing off  ::)

If it aint broke,why fix it  ???

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 23:49 »
Well ive just installed it, and it seems ok to me. Ill have a fiddle about with it and see what the speed/settings are like  :)

Boss

Always love tweaking stuff  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2003, 23:53 »
:believe:  I played with Mozilla some time ago, and was told by a 'prominent' person not a million miles away to "get a proper browser"!   ;)

If it's the same version I tried a couple of weeks ago, I would be very intereted to hear if anyone else finds that some of our smilies don't display.

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2003, 23:55 »

Always love tweaking stuff  ;D

See, you've answered your question yourself BB ;) ;D

Mozilla

Ok here's the downside chorleydave :(

There are no mouse gestures :(
You can't set pages to auto-reload :(
New pages don't load up as tabs like they do on Opera :(

But Mozilla is very, very fast ... :)

Adept

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2003, 23:59 »

:believe:  I played with Mozilla some time ago, and was told by a 'prominent' person not a million miles away to "get a proper browser"!   ;)

If it's the same version I tried a couple of weeks ago, I would be very intereted to hear if anyone else finds that some of our smilies don't display.

But this is a new version Simon. No-one can ever accuse me of not being open-minded ;) ;D ;D :shuddup:

You are right though - in another black mark against Mozilla - it doesn't show the advanced smileys on Pals.

Get a proper browser here Mozilla has left the building!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 00:09 »
Well, I can't even get the Flash plug-in to install.   :(  I will say it does look nice, and I like the less cluttered approach.  This version is also more of an XP look.  If only it worked properly!   ::)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 00:14 »
If you still have a interest in Mozilla, and want some extra toys, like mouse gestures, etc (na na na na na Opera!) you might find youself spending a while here.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 00:38 »
Thanks Adept and Simon.  I think I'll stay with Opera for now!

Why should i make the change

I use Opera for several reasons:

First, I am one of those nutters who formats my Hard Drives and reinstalls everything about every six months.  When I used Internet Explorer, I had to reinstall cookie managers, popup managers, Google Toolbars etc.   Then I discovered that the 3MB Opera download had all these features built-in, hence less hassle.

Secondly, Opera can be customised exactly as you want it by simply editing several .ini files in Notepad, and then saving your masterpieces to floppy disk ready for the next install.  For example, the default Google search engine in the Opera search toolbar is the USA version, but I have edited search.ini so that it uses the UK version of Google.   I have done the same with Ebay, and deleted those I never use such as AllTheWeb etc.  Therefore, Opera is MY browser and not something that Bill Gates thinks I should have.

Finally, pages definitely load faster in Opera and the mouse gestures etc. that Adept mentioned make browsing much simpler, once you have learned them.

All in all, I feel in control using Opera, whereas Internet Explorer tends to call the shots - if you get my drift.

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 00:41 »
Well im going to try Opera aswell and further broaden my browser experience  ;D.

Ill report back  ;)

Boss

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 02:13 »
Welcome to the PC-Pals Opera society B_B   :D  I'm sure you've made the right choice.  Opera is so good, I've actually considered [cough] paying  [cough] the US$40 or whatever to get rid of the ads [cough] [cough] [cough]

Here's a quote I found on cnet:

"Nice effort for the Moz team. But seriously, Phoenix is twice the size of Opera and has less than half the features. Go figure! Tried it... keeping Opera 7 as my primary browser, Moz 1.3 for testing and IE6 for laughs!"

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum