Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Missing Favorites  (Read 7791 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Missing Favorites
« on: June 05, 2003, 20:34 »
I've been using the Mozilla browser, and kinda like it.  I've added some sites to the Favorites folder, and I wanted to import the new set of Favorites back into IE, in case I wanted to return to it at a later stage, however, when I go into IE and use the File > Import and Export Wizard, at the point where I have to tell it where to store the imported file, there is nothing in the box, where there should be a Favorites Folder (see below).  

My Favorites list is still intact and working in IE, and the Favorites folder is still in the Windows folder, with the 'star' icon.  How can I get my new Favorites inported into IE?

I was wondering about pasting the Mozilla Bookmarks folder into the Windows > Favorites folder, but don't want to mess things up.    :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

Re:Missing Favorites
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 20:43 »
Simon, you could export your favs from Moz as a html page and then use IE to import it :)

Works a treat ;)

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 21:03 »
I'll try, but there's nowhere to import it to, is there?  I thought there should be something in the box?

Edit: Yes, I have the same problem.  I get to that empty box, and can't go any further.  Am I being a thicket here?  What am I missing?    :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 21:20 »

Am I being a thicket here?  What am I missing?    :-\

I don't think so Simon. It would appear that  you are missing a large chunk of IE :o

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 21:33 »
No, I've got that bit, and I've got the next bit (below), although I don't think that top bit should be greyed out, it's the third bit that's got something missing!   :o

I think maybe a re-install of IE may be the answer.   ;)

Adept

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 21:36 »
What happens when you hit Browse Simon?

I get this ...

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 22:12 »
Yeah, I get that, then you navigate to where the exported folder is, and the next screen should be where to put it, but on mine, it's empty, as first post.

Adept

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 22:23 »
Erm... well if you don't have any favourites in IE, it's not going to show any is it? ???

What happens when you press next?

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 22:39 »
Nothing happens when I press next.  The odd thing is, I do have Favorites in IE.  If I click on the Favorites tab in IE, I get my list, and they work.  My Favorites folder is in C:\Windows\Favorites, and also in C:\Documents and Settings\Simon\Favorites.

I'm not making these up - this is another mystery isn't it?  This doesn't have anything to do with the thing the other day, this has been like this for ages.  It's only now that I thought I might try to find an answer.

Adept

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 22:42 »
Well a repair/reinstallation of Internet Explorer is the next step I suppose.

I'm going to sleep on it :night: :D

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 22:47 »
OK, I'll hang on and see what dreams may come!   ;) :D ;D

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 22:48 »
Phew.  When i saw the title of this thread, Simon, for one awful moment I was thinking Trojan again!

A bit of a long shot,  but I use a  program called "Bookmark  Priest" to import my Opera Bookmarks into Internet Explorer Favourites.  It also supports the Import/Export of Netscape Bookmarks, which (although I have never used Mozilla or Netscape) I believe they are basically the same.  If you want to try it, you'll find it at http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~csab3666/

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 22:56 »
To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 23:31 »
To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

:shuddup: ;D ;D

Dave, I'm not sure that would help.  The problem is that the root directory seems to be missing, or has been moved, or IE can't see it for some reason.  I think a re-install might do the trick, but I'll see  if Sean dreams up anything for the morning.   ;D

Thanks for the link though, will certainly have a look as it might be handy another time.   ;)

Edit: Sorry, Dave, but although the link works, the program seems to have disappeared, or won't download anymore.   :(

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2003, 23:47 »
Hmm.  It has disappeared.  :(

If you want it, Simon, I have the Zip file on a floppy.  I can e-mail it to you.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum