Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Keyboard Problems  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Dave^

Keyboard Problems
« on: December 03, 2002, 10:45 »
Hi there,
I need help with this extremely annoying problem I have been experiencing. It started 3 weeks ago when playing a game called Counter-strike. All of a sudden for no reason, my PC froze for a second, then returned back to normal. But the strange thing was that the keyboard was no longer responding. Also, the key I had hold of when it froze is kept held down. Example if I am moving right (D key) then if it freezes then I keep moving right.

I have figured out that all I need to do is unplug th ekeyboard at the back and reinsert it and it is back to normal. This happens every 15 minutes or so. I was so frustrated that I formatted my C: drive and reinstalled windows, but it still does it. This leads me to believe it is a Hardware problem.

System Specs: - AMD DURON 1.0 Ghz, 256mb PC100 ram, Gigabyte GA7xeh, GeForce4 Ti4200, Sound Blaster 128, network card.

Offline Dave^

Re:Keyboard Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 10:49 »
Sorry I forgot to mention a few things: -
Windows 98
Also I have tryed using the drivers supplied with the keyboard and without but to no avail  :(
It also happens in differnt games but I havent noticed it during work...

Adept

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 10:52 »
Hi Dave^, welcome to the forum!

Yes, it looks like you have a keyboard problem. Do you have another one you could try?

If another keyboard has the same problem (unlikely), the fault lies in the keyboard controller on the motherboard. These are not usually replacable - you would have to replace the whole motherboard. Is your PC still under warranty?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 13:14 »
You say that it resolves itself by unplugging and plugging the keyboard back in Dave,does this mean that it is a USB one by any chance  ???

Offline Dave^

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 09:00 »
Hi there,

Unfortunatly, my PC is not under warranty because I built it myself. When I plug my spare keyboard in it still does the same thing but the thing is, it is the same kind of keyboard exactly.

It is a PS/2 keyboard.

Thenks for all the help and I hope it doesn't end up with me having to buy a new motherboard!

Cheers again

David

Offline Dave^

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2002, 09:04 »
Oh dear...

I used my PC last night but this time the mouse froze aswell. This time unplugging didnt work, so I had to manually restart my PC!  :(

I was thinking the freezeing could have something to do with memory but I have tried three differnet memory sticks to no avail.

David

Adept

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2002, 09:56 »
It may be worthwhile getting hold of some diagnostic software such as Sisoft Sandra (not to be confused with our Sandra ;))

This may help you to diagnose the problem.

Don't forget that even though you build the PC yourself, there should be at least a year's manufacturer's warranty on the motherboard.

Offline Dave^

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2002, 09:01 »
Thanks I will give it a go tonight!

David

Offline Dave^

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2002, 08:53 »
Wow 4.9mb!

I am still behind in the Internet connection timeline and still only have 28.8!!!

I have realised that my motherboard still has a warranty so have sent a request to send it back.

I will keep you posted

Thanks again for all the help

David

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum