Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: More Freeware (loads)  (Read 1983 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
More Freeware (loads)
« on: October 20, 2003, 19:24 »

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:More Freeware (loads)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 19:44 »
Cheers, Hook.  At a first glance, it looks as if it will be a very useful site.  Bookmarked.

As always with Free software, it is advisable to check for spyware, before downloading if possible, or with AdAware or some similar program after installation.  I say this, because  I immediately spotted two programs in the "A" list which are spyware before I had even bothered to scroll down the page.  I find that the easiest way to check before downloading is to type the name of the program and the word "spyware"  into Google or Google Groups.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 19:48 »
The alt.comp.freeware definition of freeware is: legally obtainable software that you may use at no cost, monetary or otherwise, for as long as you wish. When a program does not completely conform to the above definition the program description will have a special notation. The program may be liteware, registerware etc. See this page for definitions of ware types. Other notes such as "Last available freeware version" may also be present.

There are NO Adware/Spyware programs in the Pricelessware List.
[/u]  ;)

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 19:51 »
Cheers hook. I used to have that atomic clock to sync pc clock. If ever it any any downloading from winmx it used to cripple my resources and slow my clock down big time.
Happy chappie now :D
img]http://www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/pennyfarthing_button.gif[/img]I'm back!

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 19:55 »
That's interesting.  Unless public pressure has forced  a  clean up, both A1 Roboform and the Avant browser shell both had spyware when I used them.

Of course, since I made Opera my main browser, I have no need for  either of those proggies!  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 20:03 »
Hey Hook, there's a program called Hook95. Nothing to do with you is it? :D
img]http://www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/pennyfarthing_button.gif[/img]I'm back!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 23:51 »
I've been using Roboform for ages, and have never found any spyware in it, Dave.  I also have no need for it, as Mozilla contains it's own Form Manager, but I still tend to use it, although it takes a few days for it to catch up with the new Mozilla builds.

If this makes no sense, it's because I'm  :drunk:   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 00:10 »
I'm glad you mentioned Moz, Simon, because I've been meaning to ask you something.

When you upgrade to a new build, do you install "over the top", or do you uninstall the older version  and then install the new version?  It's just that I'm trying to encourage my lad to use it, so we each have our own browser without having to resort to Microsoft's offering.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 00:22 »
You can usually do either, Dave, but I tend to prefer to uninstall the old version first, in order to get a clean installation of the new version.  You don't lose any of your bookmarks or settings, as these are stored elsewhere on your PC, but you may need to re-install any plugins you had with the old version.

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 00:36 »
Thanks, Simon.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow.  The lad seems to have taken to it, so it will be well worth keeping it up to date.  :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 07:53 »
The boy will go far, Dave.   ;) ;D ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 08:38 »
Your a card Simon  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:More Freeware renamed Mozzila thread
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 10:30 »
;D

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 20:45 »
Yet even more freeware http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?cat=010

Enjoy

Hook  8) Star Mozzila free  :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 22:25 »
Gawd!  It would take me a year to get through that lot!    Hookstar!   ;D ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum