Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Boot up problem?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline arthurb

Boot up problem?
« on: October 12, 2003, 19:05 »
Since upgrading my pc (professionally) with an AMD Athlon 2000+ CPU and 512 DDR RAM I frequently have a problem when first turning on my pc. The first screen appears then there is no bus activity and the screen goes blank. Upon presing the reset buton my pc then proceeds to boot up normally.

My motherboard is an ECS K7S5A. Has anybody out there experienced similar symptoms and if so how did you resolve the problem?

Adept

Re:Boot up problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 19:20 »
Did you upgrade your Power Supply Unit at the same time ArthurB? If your PSU is not rated 300W or above, there may not be enough power to boot your PC properly :-\

Offline arthurb

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 17:35 »
PSU definately ok.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 19:07 »
AurtherB.. ;D

Same Mobo as me, try here for some Bios bits  ;)

Hook  8) star

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 12:42 »
There are quite a few revisions of the K7S5A.

I would check the PCB for a rev number. Then make sure you get the latest downloads for the BIOS from ECS website.

Sounds like a graphics/mainboard issue of some kind (the very first screen when switching a PC on is the GRAPHICS CARD BIOS screen, may be too fast to see).

Offline arthurb

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 19:40 »
Thanks for the advice folks. I've tried another graphics card :( and changed a couple of settings in my current bios related to the graphics (advised by a pc medic) :(. Therefore I tend to agree with ketamininja.

quote:
"ketamininja-I would check the PCB for a rev number. Then make sure you get the latest downloads for the BIOS from ECS website."

With regard to the above comment. Is this quite a complicated thing to do and what are the risks involved?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 00:40 »
Hi Arthur, the risks are that your motherboard may become unusable  :(
This is rare if you follow the instructions on how to do it exactlty and make sure that you have identified the mobo and the revision number correctly and use the correct bios update, but even "experts" have ruined a mobo by flashing it  :o
Its quite a straightforward procedure and doesnt take long, make sure that you save the old bios when prompted and do not switch off until the pc tells you that the update was successful  :)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 11:14 »
even "experts" have ruined a mobo by flashing it  :o

heh, I'm keeping quite.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum